It’s that special time of year when our gorgeous Illawarra / Wollongong region comes into it’s own. The beautifully warm embrace of summer is upon us and Parents Guide Illawarra can’t wait to share some seasonal inspo for family and kids this Christmas and Summer Holidays!
1. Take an Illawarra Ocean Pooling Adventure, perfect for when the surf is up and too rough for your little ones to swim at the beaches.
We think the top family friendly Wollongong Ocean pools are absolutely worth the sweaty effort required to pack up the car, liberally smother the protesting kids with suncream, then bribe them with the promise ice creams if they behave…
– Bulli Beach Rock Pool
Bulli Beach Rock Pool – our family friendly review:
– Toddler splash pool (if not full of sand) next to main pool
– Rock pools to explore
– Heaps of parking (you will only struggle on really hot days or public holiday)
– Cafe, change rooms and toilet within 30metres (parents you can get coffee – all beach trips with younger kids require extra caffeine…)
– Ramp to wheel prams down to the beach
– Beaches either side of rock to cavort on / build sandcastles / have a game of family cricket-
– Playground at the top on the grass near Bulli SLSC
– Bike track goes directly past Bulli so if feeling super adventurous you can cycle!
– Want more pool / family friendly beach inspo? Read our Guide to best Illawarra beaches here!
2. Dusky Evening Road Trip to Admire Wollongong’s Best Christmas Lights!
The sparkling displays of Christmas Light commitment from our Illawarra residents are incredible – we take our Santa hats off to you!
Here are some of the most impressive displays…
– Strathearn Ave, Wollongong
– Farmborough Road, Farmborough Heights
– Nannawilli St – Berkley
– Owen St, Bulli
– Kimbarra Crescent, Koonawarra
– Parkside Drive, Dapto
Who will spot the most inflatable Santa’s? Points mean prizes!
3. Have a family early evening picnic as the sun drops behind the escarpment and the sting of summer heat seeps away. Yes, it is pain to pack up dinner though you can always divert to takeaway fish and chips if it is too much hassle. So first, find that (possibly crusty) picnic blanket, and give it a try. Here are our top picks where the kids can roam and play after dinner and the views are pretty lush too…
Lake Illawarra, Windang – anywhere off Reddall Drive, heaps of grassy area’s, a flat calm lagoon for paddlers and a few playparks dotted around make this a top choice for families looking for safe spaces and cooling ocean breezes without the crashing waves…
Stuart Park – Wollongong – one of our flagships playparks, has a mini cycle track, some amazing slides, heaps of green space and the Lagoon for paddling in or to wash off grubby picnic hands after dinner!
4. Take the kids for a super fun, interactive and educational trip to Science Space this Christmas / Summer Holidays
Happy Summer adventures 🙂